FYI: This blog is being taken care of by Sister Martin's mom Sharon Martin - sharon-martin@telus.net. She is posting emails and pictures that I am sending to her each week.

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Reality television and celebrity conversions!

Hello Home Fries! (or should I say chips?! ....hmmmm...so confusing!)

What is life like in a trio? Ridiculous! And Hilarious! Please refer to the below as evidence: :) 

Where's Waldo!

Just purely a fun fact for my friends back home. (I already knew this months ago, but had completely forgotten to tell you all about it!)

Where's Waldo = Where's Wally in England.

Waldo looks exactly the same. The game is exactly the same (try and find Waldo in the midst of loads of random stuff). They just have a different name for him. 

Why??! I have absolutely no idea, but this week I will try to find out from random people on the street (as I always do). My theory is that Wally is simply easier for their accent to pronounce! Some words are just too harsh for the English (thus, why it is rubbish here instead of garbage! The R is just too harsh for their accents!!). We'll see if I'm right :) 

Streetcontacting into Snoop!
A member shared the most inspiring thing with us ever! A picture of 2 sister missionaries giving a Book of Mormon to SNOOP DOG at an American football game!!!!! Ummmm! WHAT?!?!?! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!

I'm so jealous! Probably the most legit thing I've ever seen! 

And it has re-inspired me! My double cousin and I (my mum's brother married my dad's sister......just think about that for a minute and let it blow your mind!) had this vision and goal before I left that I would convert David Beckham! I have not given up! Though I must admit I think it now might be more appropriate for me to try and convert the members of N-dubs (Dappy I think the main rappers name was) instead since my missionary rapping career took off a few months back ;) I would like to thank those sister missionaries for giving me the hope to never give up on my celebrity conversion dreams!!! With God anything is possible! 

It sucks to be that duck!
I told you all about "Duckshaw" village the other week! Well we saw a wondrous thing the other day:

As we were observing our normal swarms of Buckshaw ducks the other day, we saw........

A ONE-LEGGED DUCK!!!!!!! 

Wa-bam! What?!

In a dorky, messed-up way, it was really inspiring! His beak was cracked a bit, and he had his one leg, but he just kept hopping along like nothing was wrong! He played and moved around just as good as all the other ducks (feels like I'm about to start breaking into a twisted version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reighdeer!) and seemed like a perfectly happy creature! 

I decided to name him Terry Fox! (appropriate that we saw him in September-- the month back home where we honour Terry Fox and all he did for cancer research)

Who would have thought something so random could actually be endearing and inspiring! Only in missionary life!

Classifications of Rejection: Part 3(? I think ?)

We discovered another classification of rejection this week (we must have over 10 now!). 

Constipation: Missionary talks to random person on street or at door step. Person just stares at missionary with a look that closely resembles somebody who is really constipated. Missionary asks person question/tries to talk to them more. Person continues to give no reply and just make the constipated face. Missionary feels awkward and finds a smooth way to end the conversation......Person just continues in constipation until said missionary is gone. 

I had that happen the other day. We were going all around the village handing out invites to a community centre again. We were doing absolutely no preaching (just giving away the flyers) so there really was no reason for any constipation this time! But anything is possible when you are a missionary! 

I tell this man about the event and hold out my arm to give him a flyer. He just stares in silence. I politely tell him he doesn't have to take it if he doesn't want to. Continues to just stare....I finally cracked and asked him "Are you alright?!". He finally snaps out of his constipation trance, takes the flyer and shuts the door. 

Awkward! 

But so goes the life of a missionary :) 

Funniest Tongue Twister of the Week:
A member had a funniest tongue twister moment of the week. She went to try and tell someone that "that was a funny faux pas!" 

Instead it came out:

"That was a funny par feau!"

Her daughter's response:

"Mum, stop trying to make par fau happen!" (this is the family that constantly inserts Mean Girls quotes into conversations at the most inappropriate times! Hilarious!!)

Funniest Church Joke of the Week:
Tip for friends back home that want to have a successful tea appointment with their local missionaries! Just start swapping church jokes! We love it, and guarantee the missionaries will know loads that they can entertain you with!

My 2 favourites of this week!

-Moses is the bigger sinner in the Bible because he broke the 10 commandments.

- What was the 1st sport in the Bible? Tennis! Because Joseph served in Pharaohs court! 

Favourite Hymn of the Week:
159! I just discovered this hymn this morning! I've never in my entire life of going to church noticed it in the hymn book before! I relate to this hymn so much!! 

Now the Day is Over:

1. Now the day is over;
Night is drawing nigh;
Shadows of the evening
Steal across the sky.

2. Jesus, give the weary
Calm and sweet repose;
With thy tend'rest blessing
May our eyelids close.

There is nothing more beautiful than a song all about going to sleep! I LOVE SLEEP!!!!!!! 

Can-eh-dian Sister Problems:

That awkward moment when................

You get teased 24/7 for pronouncing your new companion's accent with a super Canadian accent!

People love bagging  us out (note the pun!) about the way we say "tag" and "bag". So you can imagine how much I get teased by my two American companions whenever I say the name Sister TAGgart!  

What can I say! I'm proud to be a Canadian :) 

Team MTC:
I don't remember if I told you last week, but we had an amazing epiphany the other week! The 1st letter of our last names creates the acronymn: MTC!!

And our area covers the MTC!
What what!?

This has not only turned out to be incredibly fun, but also very practical! We now pray in MTC order, so it's impossible for us to forget who prayed last! Genius!! 

Who needs television when you're a missionary?!
I can now tell you with a real-life example why having an 18 month break from tv is no big deal at all :)

We were at the bus stop the other day and there were a bunch of weird people doing a bunch of really weird things (unfortunately, that is very normal to witness when you take the bus every day, multiple times a day). 

An old man waddles towards us, observes the weirdness, and with a wink says to us: "Don't need to watch Coronation street do ya?!" 

I love English humour if I haven't stated that enough times already over the course of my mission! They are a hilarious bunch!!


I got distracted and forgot to finish my email! Ooops! I had a fab spiritual thought but I guess I'll have to share next week :( But I'll leave you with my fav scripture of the week at least!

Jacob 3: 1-2
 1 But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.

 2 O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever.

Hope the time goes quickly for you and slowly for me!
Sister Martin 


No comments:

Post a Comment