FYI: This blog is being taken care of by Sister Martin's mom Sharon Martin - sharon-martin@telus.net. She is posting emails and pictures that I am sending to her each week.

Monday 29 September 2014

Real chippy's, rap super-stardom and religious Canadianism!

Jesus Eh?!:

We found the cutest typo on the weekly newsletter that we get from the mission. Our mission president writes a little article every week and this week's article included his testimony of Jesus Christ. I was peacefully reading and pondering his testimony when my eyes suddenly fell upon an awkward typo:

"I know that he was crucified on the cross at Calgary......"

I shouted to my companions to come into the living room and stood up and made an important announcement: "Hate to break it to you all, but it turns out that Jesus was actually Canadian! So much for the whole stereotype about this being an American church!"

I then read them the typo and they found it hilarious! So our joke of the week has been to go up to all the members and ask: "Did you know that Jesus was actually a Canadian eh?!"

M&M's Are Healthy!!! 
Some members in our ward recently returned from visiting family in Australia and shared with us the strangest thing!

Pineapple M&M's! They tasted different, but strangely good! 

So now I can justify chowing down on M&M's like a fat kid at a chinese buffet because M&M's are officially a fruit (as far as I'm concerned!!) Life is good! 

Wales or Whale??!

Every night we call our district leader and report and chat about the events of our day. Well, I guess you know that you've talked to district leaders too much when you default to reporting in whale (shout out to Finding Nemo--- best film ever!)

My companion was drinking water and suddenly decided that it would be fun to just randomly start to talk/gargle into the phone and see what our district leader would do! Not to any missionary's shock.... he gargled back! So we had an entire phone conversation in gargling and whale talk! So if you're looking for a way to jazz up your daily communication, just take some advice from Dory the fish and Sister Martin the missionary and give a new dialect of whale a try! 

I promise that if you do so, that you'll have a whale of a time!! (Har Har Har!)

Sticky and Stinky Situations:
I walk into the living room, where my two companions are hanging out doing random arts and crafts. My companions 1st words to me:

"Did you know that tape stinks?!"

Huh?

Yup! Apparently tape smells bad! Fun fact of the week! Why my companion was smelling her roll of tape, I have no clue! But so it goes in missionary life!

The Greatest Gift:

Nope! Apparently to 2 random elders in this mission, the greatest gift is not the one that is described in Doctrine and Convents 14:7! 

We were at a multi-zone conference last week (i.e. a meeting where half the mission is together at one time-- lots of missionaries!!) and a couple of elders came running up to me so excited!!

They told me that some elders who lived in their flat before them had set up a treasure hunt in the flat for them! They spent like an hour going through the clues and what was the treasure at the end??!
A copy of my EMM rap! 

It's official! I'm famous! They even joked that next time they see me, they want me to autograph it so it will be worth money one day :P 

How To Know That Your Chippy Is Too Authentic!

The standard rule is that a real chippy (fish and chips) will be served to you wrapped up in real newspaper! Well we can now safely say that our favourite local chippy is certainly authentic......perhaps too authentic!
Sister Cross went to open up her chippy and noticed something disturbing:

The crosswords and Sudoku's in her newpaper were all filled in! Her food was wrapped in used newspaper! 

:O

It was hilarious and disgusting all at the same time! Sister Cross was a good sport about it and said as long as her newspaper wasn't used for someone's puppy potty-training, she would be ok!   

Quote and Spiritual Thought Of The Week: JUST DO IT!:

I heard the best quote in church, which has fueled my thought for the week!

"If you pray to the Lord to bless you with enough faith to move a mountain, don't be surprised if in response to your prayer he gives you a shovel!"

Nike says it in simpler terms: "Just do it!"

I love the principle of this! With enough diligence, we can accomplish anything! And faith is the fuel that allows us to work!! 

It is so important that we remember to 'walk the talk'! It is wonderful to believe in Christ, to enjoy hearing his teachings, and to talk about how important his gospel is.....BUT....what use is it to us if we don't LIVE it!

The purpose of the gospel is to help us to change! To put aside our sins that weigh us down and pull us off the path leading towards our loving God (Hebrews 12:1)! Action is what changes us! Just like I will not get in shape if I just sit in the gym and admire the lovely treadmills and weights! I actually have to pick them up and lift them! Sweat a little! Experience some fatigue! And then when I have consistently done this over time, I will start to change for the better! 

James 2:17-18
 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

James 1: 19-25
 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

What more can I say! Pick something this week that you wish you could be better at! Set a goal and do it! It will bring satisfaction and joy in your life! It will draw you closer to your Heavenly Father! The pain and struggles you may face while trying to make these changes will be solaced by Jesus Christ! He has promised us that never ending support and love in our journeys to change and follow his example!! 

"Good, better, best, never let it rest! Until your good is better and your better is your best!" A volleyball coach made us memorize this quote when I was 15! I never forgot it! Religious or not, this applies to everyone! 

Change! Rise up! Be better today than you were yesterday!

I love you all! 

Hope the time goes quickly for you and slowly for me!
Sister Martin :) xoxoxo


Sister Cross...
Missionary friend!
More Missionary friends!!

Treats from their neighbour!


















No comments:

Post a Comment